Deciding to sell your home is a big decision and selecting the right real estate agent for the job is equally as important. The agent who lists your home will work on your behalf to secure buyers for your house and may also work with you to find your next residence. You will want a friendly and accommodating real estate professional with past success and a genuine excitement for your real estate journey.
The best way to meet your real estate agent match is to do a bit of research and ask questions. These tips will help you find the best real estate agent to meet your selling needs.
Ask for recommendations
The easiest way to compile a list of real estate agents to consider is to ask neighbors, friends, and family who they have worked with in the past. Mostly likely, you’ll get a list of agent names with high marks as well as some you may want to avoid.
You may also want to drive around your neighborhood to see which listing agents are selling nearby homes. It is always nice to work with someone who is selling a home or has previously sold a home only a block away from your own.
Make sure to conduct your own research. Narrow down the list of agent recommendations you’ve received by gathering information about each of the agents. You’ll want to find out:
- How long they have been in the business?
- If they have any current listings? Where are they located?
- What are their credentials?
- Have they taken additional classes in certain specialties?
- Do they have an online presence?
Make time to meet
Schedule time to meet with the three real estate agents you found most impressive from your research. An agent may look great on paper, but you’ll want to get to know him or her in person as well. You want a real estate professional who will not only represent your home well, but also suits your personality and plan.
Question and quiz
Make the most of your agent meetings by asking questions. You’ll want to learn more about their real estate career, find out how they plan to market your home, and how their support will benefit you. Here are some questions to ask:
- How long have you been in the real estate business?
- Where have you previously sold homes? Where are your current listings?
- Tell me about a recent real estate success. Tell me about a listing that didn’t sell.
- Do you have a specialty?
- How much do you think my home is worth?
- How do you plan to market my home?
- What is your fee?
- What do you expect of me throughout this process?
- Can you provide references?
This process will allow you to find the right real estate agent to list your home and guide you in the selling process.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock